Within English, students have the opportunity to attend after-school and lunchtime enrichment clubs aimed at introducing them to new knowledge and developing various skills:
- Debate Mate enables students to compete with other schools across Cheshire and Merseyside and is managed by a representative from a national debating society. The programme aims to improve social mobility by teaching key skills that improve academic achievement.
- Literature Lunch Club encourages students to read for pleasure, introducing young adult fiction focused on the theme of relationships.
- Homework Club enables all students to work in a safe atmosphere with access to various resources and support from an English HLTA.
- Book to Film Club is aimed at reluctant readers to give them a wider variety of reading opportunities and encourage students to read for pleasure.
- Year 11 whole school intervention programme: Morning and after-school sessions target students’ areas for improvement.
- Reading Pals: Guided reading for year 7 students from our year 10 volunteers.
- HLTA small group intervention: Targeted reading or writing support from year 7-11.
- Reading for pleasure: Improving students’ reading ability through regular reading and vocabulary instruction.